Monday, July 19, 2010

'A positive attitude makes a woman beautiful'

Sister speak with Carla abellana:
'A positive attitude makes a woman beautiful'
By ANA KRISTINE B. VALENZUELA MOD
July 2010


WITH her skin's pinkish, white glow, Carla Abellana could have easily bagged her dream gig during her pre-showbiz, modeling days: to appear in a Pond's television commercial. According to the actress, she always wanted to appear in an ad for the beauty product. She even tried her luck in three VTRs. But Carla's dream never came to be. Little did she know that she would be in for a much bigger break: the lead role—the title role, if we may add--in a prime time television series. That, as most teleserye fans know, was Rosalinda, a local adaptation of a Mexican telenovela. And the bonus part? She did get the commercial of her dreams as she's now the newest endorser of Pond's.


Now, as one of the most recognizable faces on TV, Carla makes a conscio
us effort not only to look good but be good in her craft. Here, the star of Basahang Ginto spills some other beauty and career secrets.

Away with negativity. “Confidence and attitude is what makes a woman beautiful. Kahit sino ka pa, kahit hindi maganda ang skin mo or what, basta masayahin kang tao at positive ka, that’s what will make you beautiful. Although there are low days, I manage naman to maintain that positive attitude. Importante 'yan to keep me going. At sa trabaho ko hindi naman puwedeng nakasimangot at nagsusungit ka.”

Her happy pill.
“Happiness is just a matter of counting your blessings, and seeing what matters to you. Kahit anong problema ang ibigay sa 'yo alam mong nandiyan 'yung family and friends mo. That's what makes me happy always--family and friends talaga, plus I have a good career and that I’m given so many opportunities and blessings.”

Taking the challenge head-on. “I think the toughest challenge that I have faced in show business was the adjustment phase, and that I had to start from scratch. Nandoon 'yung ‘O sino siya? Sa'n siya galing?' Kasi normally ang artista, tini-train 'yan, bini-build up, nag-iipon siya ng experience. Ako wala akong ganyan, wala akong bala. Right away, I was given a lead role in my own show. Ang daming expectations from the network pa lang, all the more from the public. So I had to maintain an image. I had to really learn to sing, dance, act...everything. In such a short span of time, kinailangan kong humabol sa ibang artista and deal with the pressure, the schedule, and everything else. So nung umpisa nangangapa pa ako.”

One step at a time.
“I told myself na kakayanin ko with the blessing and the support of my family, and that I’ll take it one day at a time--'yung kailangan kong gawin today, 'yun lang muna. Hindi ko na masyado inisip ang future. Sucessfully, thankfully, nagawa ko 'yun. I was given enough time to prepare, so I’d like to believe that I was able that to prove something in that one year I was in showbiz. Acting has helped me a lot. Doon ko nadaan ang emotions ko.” Newbie forever. “It’s been a year since I entered showbiz and I can say that I've adjusted. Hindi nga ako makapaniwalang its been a year, eh. I’ve learned to really enjoy my job now and madami na akong ka-close sa industriya. Dati kasi syempre nandoon 'yung pressure kasi baguhan ka. But I will always see myself as a newcomer and that will always make me humble--kung paano ako nag-umpisa, saan ako nag-umpisa, at kung ano ako dati. What’s important is nalampasan ko na yung stage na 'yun--'yung puno ng anxieties, kaba, pressure, and stress.”

The backup plan . “I have a degree already, so no matter what happens with my showbiz career, I have a job pa rin, may fallback ako. I can go back to teaching, or to the corporate world.”

No comments: