BY Ana Valenzuela
December 30, 2011
Like all good things, 2011 is about to come to an end, but certainly not without a bang! If you're young, restless, and all set to party and let go of the year and usher in 2012, here’s a list of places to be on New Year’s Eve.
1. Makati Street Party. Said to be inspired from the New York Times Square New Year’s Eve countdown, the Makati street party is back after a two-year hiatus. The countdown will happen at the intersection of Ayala and Makati Avenues with the theme, ‘Magical, Musical Makati 2012’.
Organized by the Makati City government, in partnership with TV5, the party will see performances from The Dawn, the CompanY, Antimano Band, Bloom Brothers, Grupong Pendong, and many more. Party goers would surely be amazed by the magic tricks that Jeffrey Tam would provide. At the same time, mime performers, clowns and fire dancers will be doing their acts along the main stage area to add to the festive atmosphere. Capping off the year is a 15-minute grand pyro-musical show.
Food booths from traders of the Ayala Center, Salcedo Weekend Market, and major hotels in the city will also be available. Surely, party goers and revellers would have a wide variety of Media Noche choices. Six five-star hotels will also provide catering for invited VIP guests. This year’s event is expected to raise funds for Makati Festivals Foundation, in between the performances will be a series of raffle draws with valuable prizes and a brand new luxury car as grand prize.
2. Resorts World in Manila. Resorts World (RWM), the Philippines’ first integrated tourism destination, is holding not just one but three countdown parties at the complex. The elegant plaza of the Newport Mall will feature magicians, dancers, acrobats, and bands perform while stilt walkers, mimes and clowns roam the halls of the mall to the delight of guests. Singing group Primo will be hosting the countdown party alongside Classix Band will be delighting mall goers with song numbers.
At the Resorts World Casino, Bar 360 has RWM sensation the Draybers and Shayne and the Perfect Jam to delight the revellers all the way to 2012.
Check out the newest Club in the metro, the Genting Club, which will have its own New Year countdown led by the CompanY and the Bloom Brothers over choice cigars, the finest martinis, selections of single malt and whiskey, satisfying meals, and many more.
3. The Manor Camp John Hay, Baguio City. Baguio also ends 2011 with a bang as The Manor Camp John Hay presents the Yin Yang Band with heart-thumping music. There will be other performances from top acts such as Aaron Paraiso on the harp and others. A sumptuous dinner buffet of international cuisines will be served with champagne, priced at P2,800. Party giveaways and noise makers would also be given to guests. A display of fireworks over the Baguio sky greets the year 2012.
4. Boracay beach party. Still unsure of where to go to for the New Year then book a plane and head off to Boracay. After all Boracay is known for its parties, and the best time would definitely be on New Year. “In Boracay, it’s only three times a year when there are really a lot of people here: Chinese New Year, Holy Week and New Year. The island really is full and crowded,” says Alfonso Chusuey, Chief Operating officer of the Boracay Gardens Resort.
It’s during New Year’s Eve when revelers look forward to the resort’s grand buffet feast and, by 12 midnight, a 15-minute fireworks display mounted on a barge fronting sister resort Boracay Regency.
5. Mountain View Nature Park in Cebu. Most clubs and bars in Cebu are closed during New Year’s Eve. However if you want to enjoy the fireworks without so much noise, then your best bet would be at the Mountain View Nature Park in Citio Garahe, Busay, Cebu. It offers an astounding view of the city just over looking Mount Busay. Rooms cost from P500 to P2,000. Better book early as Mountain View Nature Park is jampacked during the New Year season.
6. Makati Shangri-La Hotel. Enjoy a lavish feast and musical concerts as 2012 sets in. The country’s queen of bossa nova, Sitti, Joey Lee de Guzman with EV Band, and Highway 54 will be performing at the Lobby Lounge on December 31. The performance will be capped off with a grand fireworks display. Regular seats are at Php 5,000+++, while VIP seats are at Php 5,500+++ and Php 6,000+++. Balcony seating is at Php 20,000+++ per table of four.
Also, in Makati Shangri-la, a Brazilian themed celebration for the New Year at Conway’s bar with it’s Samba de Carnivale, featuring a raging performance from Escola de Samba de Manila. All for P500 net consumable.
Guests can eat away as they can choose from an extensive menu planned out at the hotel’s various restaurant outlets. Book a room through (+632) 813-8888 or reserve a table at Restaurant Reservations and Information Centre at (+632) 840-0884. For more info, log on to www.shangri-la.com.
7. The Peninsula Manila. Glam up your celebration and greet the New Year as The Pen’s celebrated lobby becomes the venue of a glitzy countdown with the Sparkle Ball and big band music. And, as the clock strikes at 12 midnight, say “cheers!” with your glass of champagne as balloons and confetti rain down on merrymakers.
Executive Chef Patrick Boucher serves a dinner buffet that starts at 9pm until 12mn. After the countdown, the revelry goes on at Salon de Ning with Hyperbeat and Main Avenue. The Lobby New Year's Eve Sparkle Ballâ¨is priced at P 6,200++ for adults and P6,700++ to include a glass of champagne. For children under 12 years old, dinner buffet price is P 3,700++. Midnightâ¨entertainment is from 9 pm to 2 am. The Salon de Ning After Partyâ¨is from 7 pm to 2 amâ¨(P1,500++ for minimum consumption). For more details, (+632) 887-2888, extension 7401 (Festive Desk) and 6694 (Restaurant Reservations).
8. Eastwood Mall. Bring your family at the mall’s open park and celebrate the coming of 2012 with a free concert featuring Mr. Pure Energy Gary Valenciano and his sons Paolo and Gab Valenciano along with other artists like Billy Crawford, Urbanation, Amber Davis, and The Dawn. A grand fireworks display said to top its weekly fireworks show happens at midnight.â¨For inquiries, (+632)
9. Power Plant Mall in Rockwell. Party till sunrise is what Rockwell’s new and reinvented “31 to 1: 100% Rockwell New Year Party” is all about. After midnight, don’t miss the After Party from 1 am till sunrise. Get into the beat with the metro’s best DJ’s like Cao Ocampo, Yoshi Uy, Amber Davis, David Ardiente, and DJ Buzz at the Rockwell Tent. Tickets at P550 per person with unlimited drinks. For inquiries, call 0906-336-0797 or 0917-533-1464
10. Crossover buffets in hotels. Then again, if you’re a great believer of the saying, “eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow is another day,” then get your appetite going at the city’s various five-star hotels where grand crossover buffets in its various restaurant outlets are the way to say goodbye to 2011. Among these hotels are the Dusit Thani Hotel in Makati City (+632 238-8888) and the Manila Hotel (+632 527-0011).
Happy New Year!