Thursday, January 08, 2015

Check: A Trilogy---Anna and the French Kiss

Before you read my review, you should be forewarned that I am not a big YA fan.

Given as a recommended reading in a Young Adult Writing Class that I am currently taking, I never expected to fall in love with Anna (my katukayo, no less) and her wonderful story set in the City of Lights.

Enchanted by the first book, Anna and the French Kiss, I decided to read all three.

Anna and the French Kiss

Stephanie Perkins gives us a glimpse into the mind of an American teenager forced to study in Paris who ends up with a charming boy as her guide.

Does he like her or not? Always the question in play, which Anna always dismisses as St. Clair's sign of friendship. Even though they slept---and I mean slept, like two people snoring---together two nights in row and the way Anna keeps a mental calendar of how many days in a week she has been with the guy as opposed to his girlfriend (tee-hee).

Lola and the Boy Next Door

I was about to jump to the third book, as the two main characters of Isla had already made an appearance in the Anna and the French Kiss. Thankfully, Goodreads tells us that Anna and Etienne are in Lola's story. (I mean, why would you want to read a sequel if you're not gonna know what happens next in the first story.) So i sauntered on to reading Lola and the Boy Next Door,which is a decision that I won't regret.

Living with two gay dads and wearing wigs and statement outfits, Lola is not a caricature character. In fact, she dazzles with her flaws, such as the deal with Max (her boyfriend) and what's up between her and Cricket (the other titular character), and her talent, making a figure skater's costume in a day.

Isla and the Happily Ever After

Just like about every girl, she has a crush---a huge crush---on a guy. His name is Josh, and she has hid her feelings ever since her first year.  Because of that Isla is so relatable. I mean, I shudder when Josh and Isla has a moment, as it brings me back to old crushes.

However, Perkins fails to make me love Josh the way Isla does (unlike with Etienne and Cricket).



No comments: