Sunday, January 11, 2015

Checked:A book you set in high school



Book title: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky

This book gives us a glimpse, or more of a throwback, into our adolescence. 

It starts with innocent Charlie, who has lost his bestfriend and impassive about two teenagers performing oral sex in his room.

The book is very honest, as honest as Charlie. 

Charlie knows Nothing from Shop Class. He befriends him, whose real name by the way is Patrick. Charlie also makes friends with Patrick's stepsister Sam. As the days go by, he discovers more. He gets stoned. He develops feelings for Sam. He goes out on a date with Sam's friend, Mary Elizabeth. He makes out with the girl. 

“Because I know there are people who say all these things don’t happen. And there are people who forget what it’s like to be sixteen when they turn seventeen. I know these will all be stories some day, and our pictures will become old photographs. We all become somebody’s mom or dad. But right now, these moments are not stories. This is happening. I am here, and I am looking at her. And she is so beautiful. I can see it. This one moment when you know you’re not a sad story. You are alive. And you stand up and see the lights on the buildings and everything that makes you wonder. And you’re listening to that song, and that drive with the people who you love most in this world. And in this moment, I swear, we are infinite.” 
― Stephen ChboskyThe Perks of Being a Wallflower






I was planning to spend my Saturday just reading.

Unfortunately, it was just a plan which did not come to fruition. The Pope is coming to visit Manila, and my sister mentioned something about volunteering for a human barricade.

So, I googled it Saturday morning, called the office, and talked to some friends about this. As it turns out, there is an orientation for the human barricade that Saturday. My friends and I wanted to go, and all the plans I made fell to pieces. 

We went to Loyola Heights, then had lunch at Tapsi ni Vivian, then went to Divisoria.

By this time, I had already read about 30 pages (on my ebook); the Perks of Being a Wallflower had about 139 pages. I thought about two hours would be enough to finish the book, but, it had been around one in the morning and I haven't yet finished it. The book was enticing, yes. Unfortunately my lids was giving into gravity and to my body's needs. The next morning, I woke up at around 8:30am, and finished the book before 9. So, there I read the book in less than 20 hours, that has to count as less than a day, right? 


No comments: