Thursday, March 24, 2011

Good Morning, Venus!


Good Morning, Venus!
By ANA KRISTINE B. VALENZUELA

Published MOD March 2011


YOU KNOW her story. Born in Qatar. Growing
up without a father. Hand-to-mouth life in Bicol. Darkness, her many nights. Then, just as she was about to see some limelight, a controversy, a buzz about mistakes, and it seemed she’s back in the dark.
And then splash!

Unlike beauty queens who, after representing the country in pageants abroad, seem to have been etched out of the public’s consciousness, Miss Universe Fourth Runner-Up Venus Raj continues to make news. And she’s delivering the news. Her new morning.
Venus recently joined the reformatted ABS-CBN morning show, Umagang Kay Ganda, as one of its hosts. “Okay sa akin ang hosting. Sabi nga nila, pagka-hosting, normal lang. Napapakita mo lang yung personality mo," Venus told entertainment site push.com.ph.
She added that she has no problem with the early call time. “It’s okay, because I do jogging at around 5:30 in the morning. So it’s like I’m only jogging, that’s what I think about. Plus, I am a morning person, so I don’t have any hesitation waking up early.”

Venus is excited to have started a showbiz career, via ABS-CBN. Unknown to many, she almost became a Kapatid, having been offered to be a part of Willie Revillame’s Willing Willie on TV5 as a co-host. Her mom, however, was determined for her daughter to be a Kapamilya. “She told me, ‘Anak, ang gusto ko, sa ABS-CBN ka talaga. Kasi kung hindi, hindi na talaga ako manunuod!’ She was serious when she told me that. Kaya kami ng kapatid ko tawa ng tawa, at alam ko na talagang ang saya niya na nasa ABS-CBN na ako,” she told ABS-CBN.com.

She may be focused on her hosting gig now, but Venus isn’t closing her doors on acting. “If I am given a comedy role, why not? For me, it is okay. Maybe even a dramatic role—it would also be okay for me. Or if I get to do comedy with a different role, why not? I’m willing to improve whatever it might be that would need improving. I would study different kinds of roles,” she said.
Venus also has some leading men she would want to work with—Piolo Pascual and Coco Martin.

She said of Coco, “I was still in college when he visited Bicol. I remember my barkada and I really followed his entourage just so I could get a glimpse of him. I only got to look at him for just a short while! I remember telling myself, ganito pala yung feeling na hinahabol mo talaga yung artista para magpa-picture. I wasn’t able to see him up close, so I wish that would happen soon.”
Whatever her career or lovelife status may be, Venus truly hopes in the Lord, like she did when the Binibining Pilipinas decided to sign her up with ABS-CBN. “All I’m praying for to our Lord is that He leads me to where he wants me to be going. So I know that this is where I am now, and this is what he wants for me. I’m really thankful that it is with ABS-CBN,” she said.

No comments: